How is stainless steel manufactured in India: A guide to find the right stainless steel
Almost every structure, whether interior or exterior, has stainless steel components uses in its construction. Found in various grades and forms, stainless steel is one of the most popular choices for design and construction projects. What sets it apart is its affordability and an intricate manufacturing process that makes it a robust, lustrous and ductile material. Maven steels employ the use of advanced and cutting-edge technology and machinery that leads to our industry-leading steel products that have been applied for an innumerable amount of ventures from large-scale constructions to interior design solutions.
Take a look at the intricate process which makes steel one of the most versatile materials in the world:
How stainless steel is manufactured and processed, an overview –
When the raw materials of nickel, iron ore, chromium, silicon, molybdenum, and others, are melted and fused together, Stainless steel metal is formed. The proportions of these components may vary and that leads to the numerous different forms of steel. It also determines how much resistance to corrosion the material will possess. If the ratio of Iron to other metals is more, then material is more prone to oxidation and vice-versa. A few other properties like hardness, malleability, ductility is also affected by increasing or reducing the ratios in which the composite metals are molded.
Before the manufacturing process can begin, the amount raw materials needed are gathered and what grade of steel to be manufactured is determined.
- Melting Raw Materials: The various stainless-steel components are positioned in a furnace and heated till they reach their melting point. This procedure can take up to several hours, lasting anywhere between 8 – 12 hours.
- Removal of Excess Carbon: Excess carbon can hinder the purification process and it is removed through a vacuum oxygen decarburization process. The resulting alloy can be a sub-standard or high-grade version of the alloy, depending on the amount of carbon removed.
- Tuning or stirring: The materials molded together need to be perfectly blended to achieve fine-tuning. The molten steel is then stirred for effective assimilation of its various constituents. This ensures uniformity and allows the product to meet custom specifications.
- Forming the Metal: As the stainless steel begins to cool, it is put through a variety of forming processes—starting with hot rolling while the steel is still above its crystallization temperature. Hot rolling helps get the steel into a rough shape, and is often used to create billets or blooms of metal. To create metal blooms or billets of precise dimensions, the stainless steel may be cold rolled.
- Heat Treatment/Annealing: To relieve internal stresses and alter the stainless steel’s mechanical properties, it may be annealed (heated and cooled under controlled conditions). If annealed, the steel may need to be descaled so the protective oxide layer isn’t compromised.
- Cutting and shaping: After the annealing process, stainless steel is put through a variety of cutting and shaping processes to create an ideal final product for the application. The specific operations used to cut the stainless steel will vary depending on the size and shape of the billet/bloom and the desired final product. For example, the steel may be cut mechanically with large metal shears if making thick metal plates. Meanwhile, CNC punch or laser cutting machines may be used to cut shapes out of thinner metal sheets. Marlin Steel’s manufacturing team often creates custom metal cutouts from sheet metal plates by using cutting lasers and CNC punch machines.
- Applying Surface Finishes: Before delivering stainless-steel castings, blooms, or wires to other producers, the manufacturer may apply different surface treatments to them. The type of finish given depends on the steel’s intended usage, but one of the most popular is simply sanding down the surface to eliminate impurities and smooth it out.
A guide to select the best grade of steel for your application:
Selecting the right kind of stainless steel for your venture is essential in order to obtain the perfect result. And it can be taxing to choose from the various different variants available. Know your steel with this guide-
Several grades of steel can meet the same required specifications, but environmental variables like intended product life, operational safety, and cost will help to pin down the choices. Mechanical criteria such as strength, hardness, toughness, and hardenability are typically considered first, followed by service environment requirements such as corrosion resistance or the ability to endure severe temperatures.
Following that, while choosing steel grades, the manufacturing procedures must be considered. Is the component intended to be molded, forged, or casted? Is the engineer thinking about switching to a forged option? Is it necessary to weld the component afterward? What heat-treatment configuration will be needed to achieve the best results? When should nondestructive testing be undertaken if it is required? All of these factors will influence the kind of elements used to improve steel quality and ensure that the grade can handle the application’s demands.
The series of material selections are guided by the durability and toughness requirements. Phosphorus, Sulphur, tin, lead, and other remnant components in steel can be decreased to extremely low levels for enhanced toughness. However, meeting durability criteria in this manner can result in significant material costs. The addition of appropriate alloy elements like as manganese, nickel, chromium, and molybdenum can increase toughness, but how they are used varies widely depending on product specifications.
Being the best in the industry, we help you select the perfect variant of steel so that you never have to settle for less for your dream project.
Maven steel is the perfect option for all your stainless-steel needs. Know what the advantages of choosing maven are and contact us for a trustable steel partner for your venture!
- What is the difference between carbon steel and stainless-steel pipe?
- Stainless Steel for Interior Designers: How to make design more efficient using stainless steel.
- How is stainless steel manufactured in India: A guide to find the right stainless steel
- All you need to know about types Of Stainless-Steel: Stainless Steel Types, Grades & Prices.
- The Next Big Thing in Stainless Steel
About Our Blog
We are so happy you’re here!! Our unforgettable memories in life seem to take place so we decided to Start of Happiness had to be established.